Friday, April 9, 2010

Some thoughts

These are all video edits I've done and posted onto the incredibly nice streaming video site, Vimeo. I love how customizable Vimeo is and how high quality things look. I also like that they don't pull every single video with copyrighted material in it within moments of posting. Keep in mind, most of these (read: all) have intros to them and some of the have outros as well - so, you know... if you get bored waiting for the song to start, just keep waiting. It'll get there eventually.


I love this song - the original is great, but the genius known as A-Trak made it better. A-Trak, if you didn't know, is one of the most accomplished DJs to ever live. He was the youngest DMC (a DJ battling competition held yearly) champion ever, winning it at age 15 and then came in second the next year at age 16. He owns the music label "Fools Gold" and was the touring DJ for Kanye West for a long time. Needless to say, he's legit and someone you should make a point to go see spin if he's ever in your neighborhood.


Animal Collective released their acclaimed album Merriweather Post Pavillion in 2009, and I think everyone but me liked it. That's fine. I don't really like Animal Collective all that much outside of a few tracks, including their most accessible and most "popular" song, "My Girls", which was the breakthrough single from the album. Recently, Gigamesh (1/3rd of the DJ/Remix/Production team known as DiscoTech) released what he calls his "Proper House Remix" of the track. I am a big fan of most of the work that DiscoTech (and the new side project that some of them are working on, called Senor Stereo) does, but this is one of the best tracks they've put out so far. I used a few plugins from Adobe After Effects to make the colors change, and I think it works pretty nicely.

I find myself listening to more disco, funk, and soul now than I do music from this era. And most of the music from this era that I do listen to has been influenced heavily by disco, funk, and soul. There's still space in my heart for NOFX, but they aren't something I listen to on a daily basis much anymore (outside of the last few weeks, thanks to Fat Mike's recent episode).

I am looking for some suggestions of classic funk and disco to listen to. I just started listening to the Equals, which was a group that Eddy Grant sang for before he went all Electric Avenue. They have one track called "Black-Skinned Blue-Eyed Boys" which sounds pretty damn close to something by Edwin Starr.



That's what I have for now. Tonight I'm DJing at Fur Nightclub, where I'll be playing hip hop most of the night, and not the good kind.

No comments:

Post a Comment